Saturday, June 28, 2008

North Dakota and wind

started the day at the gas station worrying that the wind might knock over my bike if I let it go. Everybody assured me that it's always like that around there so I knew I was in for a rough day ahead. Once I got on the bike I was pretty sure I could see Minnesota, 360 miles away.

Apparently the people on the east side of the state were a little smarter than the people on the west a couple generations ago. Either that or the guy that was planting all trees started in the east and died before he got to the west.

It's kinda cool to see that all the trees were intentionally planted as wind breaks for houses, crops, airports, roads.... In the east the trees are least 50 years old. In the west they're very small or not there at all.

The ride across the state was pretty nice other than the wind. Only saw one windmill though. Maybe there are only 300 people living in the north half of the state.

Grand Forks looked nice but I was there a little early to stop so I pressed on.

No buffalo sightings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like North Dakota could supply all our energy needs if they'd harness the wind. But they're going for the old fossil fuels in a big way. I've heard that they may be sitting on the biggest oil fields in the US.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/04/10/ndoil/